All around the world people from our member groups are fighting against new airports or airport expansions. But a just and climate safe mobility is not only about reducing aviation and airports. It is about building a transport system and infrastructure that supports the freedom of movement but at the same time doesn’t destroy local territories and the climate. So sometimes we also need to fight against new train projects like in the case of the so called Maya train in Mexico. We stand in solidarity with our member organisation „Coordinadora de Pueblos y Organizaciones del Oriente del Estado de México en Defensa de la Tierra, el Agua y su Cultura“ who are opposing the Maya train for various reasons.
Read their statement below and help to share it and shed a light on this deadly project which also shows how tourism can destroy local communities and environment.
NO TO THE MAYA TRAIN !
Why am I saying no to the Maya Train?
- It’s an ECOCIDE: it would devastate the environment of eastern Mexico.
- It is an ETHNOCIDE: it would disrupt relations between indigenous communities.
- It is an IMPOSED project. The Mexican State carried out consultations with the populations, but they were rigged, partial and biased.
- It is a BAGGAGE in order to implement THE COMMERCIALIZATION OF THE CULTURAL AND NATURAL HERITAGE.
- It UNDERMINES Mexican NATIONAL GOVERNANCE because it will benefit foreign capitalists.
- It promotes CORRUPTION of the government, PILLAGING for the benefit of big capitalists and VIOLENCE of organized crime, as other mega-projects have already shown.
- The work will mobilize thousands of workers in spite of the health measures needed in the current COVID-19 crisis.